Lee Tower and Lee Pier Interpretation Board
Following the introduction of the Lee Historic Waterfront Heritage Walk and Talk in October 2006, by the Vision4Lee Steering Group -
The talks covers the following topics:
Part of the introduction includes with development of Lee-
Early impetus came from Charles Edmund Newton Robinson, who persuaded his father, John Charles Robinson, art curator and collector, to fund the buying of land. The modern town of Lee-
In 1935 the Lee Tower, an Art Deco complex, was built on the seafront next to the old pier and railway station. It was designed by architects Yates, Cook & Derbyshire complete with cinema, ballroom restaurant and a 120-
The foreign holiday boom of the 1960/70`s saw a gradual decline in the towns fortunes; the pier was demolished in 1958 and the tower in 1971. The land is now used for the promenade and remembrance gardens. Noel Coward performed at Lee Pier.
Feedback from walkers is sought by the walk leaders and many walkers have been totally unaware that Lee-
Planning permission was necessary and the Interpretation Board design work was carried out by two volunteers Mary and David Yearly, to whom Lee Residents Association will be forever grateful.
The funding for the Interpretation Board was provided from the devolved budget by HCC to Lee Cllr Graham Burgess. Bids were sought from a number of businesses and the art work and board work has been carried out by The Sign Workshop, with installation on Lee Seafront by Philip Hendley of Southampton on the 21 November 2013.
An official handover to GBC took place on the 6th December 2013 at 3:00 p.m
From left to right:
Mrs Christine Beavis, Mayoress (2013) Cllr.Graham Burgess
Ray Harding and
Mayor (2013) Cllr.John Beavis
|community table top|
|defibrillators in Lee|
|health & wellbeing|
|local carer's centre|
|phlebotomy (blood tests)|
|portsmouth hospital trust|
|Lee family Robinson|
|victoria hotel cont.|